Fun Facts About Bingo

What makes bingo so much fun to play, except for winnings of course? You might think that you know everything about bingo, but here at Bingo Scanner, we are claiming that you don’t! That’s why we’ve put the most interesting bingo facts for you to enjoy.



There is no doubt that bingo has become one of the most popular pastime activities. People enjoy playing bingo while having fun and even winning money. It has been said that almost everyone on the entire earth has ever played bingo. And why not? Bingo has so many benefits that make it such a popular game all over the world.

It’s been said that in the UK, bingo is the most played game. Moreover, these days we have online bingo that doesn’t require you to travel to bingo halls in order to play. Instead, you can enjoy your favourite bingo game online from anywhere, at any time. Bingo is a game that is not only fun to play, but also a game that brings people together. And this is even possible in online bingo, where people gather in chat rooms and talk for hours!

But what makes bingo so much fun to play, except for winnings of course? You might think that you know everything about bingo, but here at Bingo Scanner, we are claiming that you don’t! That’s why we’ve put the most interesting bingo facts for you to enjoy.

Bingo comes from Italy and is 500 years old

You might not believe it, but the origins of bingo start in Italy back in 1530. Then, bingo appeared in the form of a national lottery called “Lo Giuoco Lotto Italia”. The most interesting fact is that bingo still runs every Saturday in Italy.

Bingo was called Beano

Yes, that’s true - the game’s original name wasn’t bingo. It was called ‘Beano’ because players covered their numbers with beans. The name ‘Bingo’ was accidentally invented.

Bingo is used as an educational tool as well

Don’t worry, bingo for educational purposes has nothing to do with betting. Many teachers use bingo to teach kids about some subject in an enjoyable way. Bingo is considered as a great tool for improving the concentration to the kids. Bingo as an educational tool was used way back in the 1800s way back in Germany and has been used ever since.

Bingo is bigger than football

According to some records, in the UK, every year more money is spent on bingo tickets than on football events.

UK bingo cards are different from US bingo cards

The main bingo game played in the UK is the 90-ball bingo, containing 27 spaces arranged into nine columns and three rows. On the other side, the bingo game played in the US is the 75-ball bingo, containing five columns that are split into 25 squares filled with 24 numbers.

80% of bingo players are women

Yes, that’s right! Statistics show that about 80% of bingo players are women while the remaining 20% are men.

Even the Royal family plays bingo

As we know, The Queen and Prince William are the first in line to play bingo when the bingo tickets are being handed out at Buckingham Place.

The most common winning name in bingo is Margaret

If you are one of those people who are called Margaret, bingo might be the ideal game for you, because statistically, you’re more likely to win than any other player.

Bingo relieves stress

It has been proved that bingo helps in reducing stress. And it’s expected because bingo is a very fun and entertaining game. Having fun and being happy leads to not having stress.

In Australia, people don't shout 'bingo'

While people in the UK shout ‘Bingo!’ when they form a winning combination, people in Australia don’t. Instead, they shout ‘Housie!’.

Bingo card combinations

If we take the 75-ball bingo for example and calculate the possible combinations that can outcome, the number will be 552,446,474,061,129,000,000,000,000. When it comes to the bingo card combinations, there would be around 111,007,923,832,371,000 in total, with 4,976,640,000 bingo cards.

Biggest bingo win

The biggest bingo win ever was the jackpot that was won in December 2012 by John Orchard who won £5.9 million at an online bingo site.

Did you know some of these fun facts? To this day, millions of people enjoy bingo because it is a fun game to play, easy to learn and keeps your brain active. 

With online bingo, bingo game continues to gain popularity all over the world and is one of the most-played games. If you want to try playing bingo online, check the most popular bingo sites featured at Bingo Scanner and make your pick!

Top Blog Stories
Safety Tips For New Bingo Players

Safety Tips For New Bingo Players

5 Reasons Why People Love Bingo

5 Reasons Why People Love Bingo

Online Bingo For Seniors - Bingo Games For The Elderly

Online Bingo For Seniors - Bingo Games For The Elderly

The Best Bingo Jokes

The Best Bingo Jokes

What Kind Of Online Bingo Personality Are You?

What Kind Of Online Bingo Personality Are You?